Rocky Mountain Reagents History

 MG 3862-2
 

Rocky Mountain Reagents, Inc., formerly S & K Reagents, has been in business in the Denver area for over 50 years. S & K Reagents was founded in 1951 by Ewald Schug and George Kaufman. The partnership was short lived, and Mr. Schug bought out Mr. Kaufman’s interest in the company. Ewald Schug was the first (and only) Medical Technologist to graduate in 1941 from the new Medical Technologist Program offered by Presbyterian Medical Center. He developed the company to meet the needs of Hospitals, Clinics, and Physician laboratories in the Denver area. The products manufactured by S & K Reagents included: culture media, biological stains, and chemistry solutions for clinical laboratories. Ewald hand delivered the products that he made in his basement daily. In the mid 1960's, the business was moved to a 585 square foot space in the Historic Washington Park area of Denver.

Phyllis Sordelet purchased S & K Reagents in January, 1988. The company remained in Washington Park with its eclectic host of neighbors. Most customers were met by the company dog, Gracie, who liked to lie outside the front door. Later, RMR acquired another space in the same block to accommodate the expanded product line which included titration reagents, indicators, chemical test solutions for industrial applications, and custom reagent manufacturing.

The name was changed to Rocky Mountain Reagents (RMR) in October, 1996, as the company expanded its services.

Later that same year, the company was moved to a 2,500 square foot space in Sheridan, Colorado. In 2001, RMR purchased First Service Supply Company. With this acquisition, RMR was able to offer its customers a wide variety of acids, bases, solvents, and chemicals in ACS, Semiconductor, USP, FCC, Technical, or Commercial grades. Over the next ten years, the company grew to require more space. In 2006, plans were made to build a new building in Golden, Colorado. Over the course of a year, the building was constructed, and RMR moved to its 20,000 square feet, state of the art building in April of 2008 with room to expand another 25,000 square feet in the future.

The company now serves a diverse customer base throughout the Rocky Mountain region and all 50 states.